Friday, August 3, 2012

Learning in Primary?

As many of you know, I have a special place in my heart for Primary right now.
I've never been in primary much but wow I am having so much fun.
These kids just love you!  
No where will you find anyone who loves you just because you are you!


I'm finding out I may need the gift of tongues for this calling!
I had a boy last week who was fairly new sit down.  I asked him his name.  His response,
"Lulubulu".  I asked several times.  I got the same response.  It was like the Vietnamese gal that does my nails .... that you ask several times. "what?" Until finally you act like you know what they said.   I almost asked him to spell it but realized he was probably not old enough to do that and I didn't want to make him feel bad.  So I just moved on.
His Mom came in at the end to get him and I asked her.  She said, "Luke" was his name.  But, that he likes to go by "Lulubulu".  He just smiled from ear to ear!
Go figure.  


Lesson Learned
I did my sharing time this week and thought I'd ramp up the fun level and have a dart gun as part of my lesson.   I wrapped the top of Solo cups with tissue paper and had numbered papers inside.  The child was to come up and shoot the dart into a cup and break the tissue paper to retrieve the numbered paper.  Sound fun right?  Well the first girl up I told her to shoot closer and that way it would for sure break the tissue.  She shot it missed the cups,  hit the board and shot back right into her eye!  Oh my gosh!  I almost died!  She was ok luckily but I ended that real quick.  
I'm learning what works and what doesn't.
The rest of the children were bummed that I ended it.  




Anyways, I came across an article by the General Primary Presidency in the latest Church News and LOVE the thoughts that were shared.


As a parent, how often do we ask our children what they learned in Primary?
"Can your question make a difference in your child's life? Yes!"


They invite you to reinforce the learning from primary by asking them (your child) each week what they learned.
"When children explain in their own words the gospel doctrines they have just been taught, real learning takes place."
"What are you going to do this week because of what you've learned?"
"Did you feel the Holy Ghost today?"


I love this part:
"Children can experience two sharing times each week, one in Primary and one at home."


They then go on to quote Pres. Eyring (loves this man)....
"Of all the help we can give these young people, the greatest will be to let them feel our confidence that they are on the path home to God and that they can make it.  And we do that best by going with them."


Oh,  I love that "on the path home to God"!  And that they CAN MAKE IT!!!
Children are so lost these days.  AND we do need to do it with them.  We need help too.
Why not do it together!  Probably be more successful, you think?
How simple to ask, listen and give that confidence back that they need.


Simple ideas:
*make it a point of dinner conversation each Sunday
*reinforce it in family home evening
*as a family apply the doctrine together that week
*find ways to share with Grand Parents or friends
*sing primary songs that go with that doctrine
*share the stories from the Friend that go along with the teaching
 (they go right along with the topics in sharing time for that month)


Maybe you are doing this?  
Maybe this inspired you to start asking?
Either way there is always room for improvement!  
Get asking!!!





No comments: