Sunday, August 12, 2012

better than the beach?



We made our annual summer trek to Salt Lake City.  
I am a little prejudice about the beach, but our time in Utah each summer is always something I look forward to.  
The mountains are so flippin gorgeous! 

This year was extra special in it's own way.

Olivia and I decided to fly up and meet some friends for school shopping and good times....... while Dad and the boys drove up.   HOW NICE?  I know.


SARA, my dear friend and sister .  We've known each other since we were little girls.
Her Mom married my Grandfather.  She called him Papa Jess.  I didn't get to know him as well as she did.  She moved in with him when she was 10.    She has this amazing ability to remember things with great clarity.  So I live most of his memories through her and of course my own Mother's.  

Through the years, we have raised our children together.  Sharing triumphs, struggles, and just about every little thing that goes with raising a family and being women.

I don't have a sister but I know that she was sent to fill that void.   
I love her.



We stayed at the Grand America,  laid by the pool, shopped, went to the movies, and just enjoyed each other laughing!


Sara's daughter . 
Emily.  "Em".... such a doll!  





After a few days,  it was time to say goodbye and have the boys meet up with us.
They arrived just in time to gorge ourselves on the amazing "Grand America buffet".  
It's tradition.
We then walked over to the conference center.  
Jack couldn't remember it and so we did the whole tour.




Love the architecture and paintings.  
And this is my most favorite one by Carl Bloc done in a stain glass.



 "THE HALL OF PROPHETS" All the prophets are represented from Joseph Smith to our current prophet President Monson.  



This is a mural of pics that they had etched onto tiles.



Went from there to Grandma and Grandpa Aubrey's home.   
So fun to get caught up.
Grandma always takes care of us with a nice dinner.  


On to our destination, the cabin in Midway.  
We planned to spend a little over 10 days up in the mountains.  
My parents were already up there and we were so excited to share some of our days with them.
Grandma Porter loves someone to play games with!  We played tons of them!
Grandpa loves to take the kids golfing.  All the time.  
So lots of golf, drives to Park City to see a movie, shakes at the Train Burger, watching deer in the backyard, a lesson on caramel apple making, sleeping in, watching the Olympics non-stop,  learning to crochet (a new found skill thanks to Grandma), and of course going to the demolition derby.  





This beautiful sunset lasted all of about 2 mins!  I got it!

Not sure there is anything to match a demolition derby.  An event in it's own category.




Alpine coaster,  best ride down the mountain.






AND........

One of the things I so desperately wanted to do this trip was to drive up Big Cottonwood canyon.  We did this all the time when I was growing up.  It was 20 mins. from our home and made for quick get-a-ways.  I remember so many Monday nights heading up to the mountains with a picnic.  Many a weekends on the slopes skiing.  
So everyone humored me and went along.  
It ended up being one of the most memorable days I will forever remember!  

The most incredible drive from Midway over to Brighton is breathtaking.


At the top of Guardsmen pass.


It had just rained and smelled like fresh cut trees!



Once we got to big cottonwood canyon,  we picked a little road 
to turn off on and found our way to this forest-y area.

Exploring.
Some of the kids would call out from somewhere to come see something.
Josh and Olivia made their way to the top of this waterfall area and called out to Jess and I.
We got there and were trying to figure out how to climb up when Jess started screaming and running around.  I looked down where he was swatting his leg to see about 5-6 bees all over his socks.
He got stung 3 times.
We were out of there.  
We pretty much lost Jack after that experience.  He was so concerned about the bees.



So here is my nature walk.  
Rocks, flowers, moss, pine needles, roots, bark, water falls, etc..... 
All the things I want to bring into my home!  
I was in heaven.
 Wow.......







Fresh water from the top of the mountains.  SUPER COLD!

Sure glad I wore my keens. 

Enormous tree roots everywhere.



Ok,  after a while Scot called me back from my nature walk to come see what the kids found.
A water hole.  
We did not plan to swim.  Until.....they saw it.  
They were crazy!  


 It should be fine, right?  It's not that cold......Uhmmmmm


Jess went first.....






OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!
Take your breath away........

 Thank goodness for cameras.  Capturing the moment.

Josh next.

A little splash on the face to get the feel and..........

.....he was out of there!

Yah,  real fast!

No towels, no change of clothes, it was a wet ride back.
SO FUN!!!!

I could have sat there several more hours listening to the water.  
Taking pictures.  
Smelling the forest.
Laughing with the kids.
All good things come to an end.  
I guess that's what I love about pictures,  we get to go back and re-live the moments.

My only regret was that I didn't take more.  Always.

I love our chunks of time.  
This was a good chunk.  
So glad we could all be together.

















1 comment:

Shawni said...

Oh I'm craving being there right now...except for the cold water :)