Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Dinner Time

We have always done dinner at about the same time every night since I can remember.

5:30 - 6:00 p.m.

At least that is when I have my dinner ready. Scot usually walks through the door somewhere in that time frame.

I remember being counseled by a General Authority (Elder Holland?) to make this a priority and he explained what great things would happen from sticking to this. HE also shared some statistics that were amazing. I can't remember the details of it all but just remember thinking that this is something that would get hard one day. At the time it wasn't. Our kids were little.

Well that day has come. Our lives are busier than they have ever been. The kids are bigger.

Olivia could be off babysitting until 7-7:30.

Jess still wants to stay at the skate park because there is still some daylight.

Their friends don't have to be home.

Scot has a meeting late.

The reasons for not being together go on and on.

Scot and I have seen HUGE benefits from this simple time period of the day.
We get to all hear about each others day, what happened, why it happened.......but, most of all we just simple communicate all at once. Combining our scripture reading with this time has also been a blessing.

I also think we eat healthier meals when we do this.

It takes some time to create and plan for this. I have to be prepared to stop whatever I am doing around 4:30 p.m. or have thought about it during the morning hours when the kids leave.
Not to mention have already shopped for the ingredients.

So we are sticking to it. Regardless of hard it can be.
I know things can come up but to always make it a priority has been beneficial.

Bon Appetite!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Such great info, thanks for sharing! a fav snack of mine is apples with natural peanut butter just a TBL for good protien and turkey rolls- hummas, spinach, and sliced raw peppers all rolled up!

get those natty nest pics up! can't wait!